OPENING TIMES


Thurs - Sat


10am - 5pm


One tour at 11am

 PLEASE CLICK LINKS BELOW

St Mary the Virgin Cottingham & Bell Tower -  Hallgate - Cottingham - HU16 4DD


A priest is first recorded in Cottingham around 1150, but the oldest part of the present church, the aisled nave, dates from the 1320s, probably when it was gifted to nearby Haltemprice Priory. The windows, doorways and arcades are late Decorated Gothic.


The present interior is largely a result of comprehensive reordering in 1845 by the Hull firm of F.W. Lockwood,. The organ, by Forster & Andrews of Hull, replaced a late 18th-century instrument by Donaldson of York in 1860. The19th-and 20th-century stained glass windows are by English and Flemish firms



Climb St Mary’s Tower and enjoy fine views over England’s largest village and beyond to the towers and cranes of Hull belfry gives the opportunity to inspect all 8 bells at close quarters, the oldest cast in 1638.


The clock, in the ringing chamber below, was built by Cooke of York in 1870 and sponsored by the government for display at an exhibition in Vienna. Now it keeps good time – you can help wind it up!


Guided Tower Tours Saturday only - Tower Tours last approximately 45 minutes


No Pre-booking required